CamStudio is a nice simple tool for screen recording with audio which is ideal for recording short demos
There are a few options that should be set before use:
- Region - set to whatever's needed (the smaller the area, the better)
- Options - turn on 'Record audio from microphone'
- Options | Audio Options | Audio Options for Microphone:
- Change the 'Recording Format' to '22.05 kHz, stereo, 16-bit'
- Click 'Choose Compressed Format'
- Set the Format to 'Microsoft ADPCM'
- If you want to specify where the recording gets saved, go to Options | Program Options | Directory for recording | Use user specified directory...
Due to a limit to the file size, the above settings should give a recording time of approximately 30 minutes for a full screen recording on a widescreen monitor.
To use CamStudio:
- To start the recording, click the record button (red circle) (don't forget to set your required options)
- To finish recording, click the stop button (blue square)
CamStudio will compress and save the video file and then play it back to you using your default media player